Veterans' Discharge Papers

Veterans are encouraged to take advantage of the opportunity to file a copy of their military discharge papers with the County Clerk’s office. This important document will be permanently saved and should the veteran ever misplace or damage the document, an image can be provided, free of charge, by the Clerk. To file, bring your original DD-214 to the Legal Division of the Office of the Westchester County Clerk.  It will be copied and returned to you immediately.  The office is located at 110 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Room 330 in White Plains and can be reached by entering through the Richard J. Daronco Courthouse entrance. The office is open Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.

Military Law section 250 has provided for the County Clerk to serve as a safe and local depository for your military records, which are kept sealed for privacy protection purposes.  Please note that only the veteran, parent, spouse, dependent or child of the veteran, a representative of the estate of a deceased veteran, or a public official acting within the scope of his or her employment may obtain a copy of any filed DD-214.

Veterans' Peddler Licenses

Every honorably discharged member of the United States Armed Forces and a veteran of any war or who shall have served in the United States Armed Forces overseas, and the surviving spouse of any such veteran, if a New York State resident, shall have the right to hawk, peddle, vend and sell goods, wares or merchandise or solicit trade upon the streets and highways within the county of his or her residence by procuring a license for that purpose. The license issued by the Westchester County Clerk does not supersede any restrictions, etc. placed by City, Town or Village Clerks. The applicant should inquire with these local offices about their rules and regulations.

To apply for a Veterans’ Peddler License, you must present the following to the Westchester County Clerk:

  • Original or certified copy of your DD214 (stating honorably discharged or service overseas);
  • Valid driver’s/non-driver’s license or other photo ID;
  • Proof of residency in Westchester County for a period of at least 6 months; and
  • One recent passport size (2 inch by 2 inch) photo of yourself with white/off-white background. A photo can be taken in our office free of charge if you do not have a photo available.

No fee is charged for issuing the Veterans' Peddler License.

Veterans' Property Tax Exemption

Information about the New York State Veterans' Property Tax Exemption can be found at the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance website.

Veterans' I.D. Card

Information about obtaining Veterans' ID Cards can be found at the US Department of Veterans Affairs website.


Questions?  Call us at (914) 995-3070 or send an e-mail to