Q: How much can a notary public charge me for administering an oath or affirmation or for taking an acknowledgment?

A: A notary public may charge a fee of $2.00 for administering an oath or affirmation or for taking an acknowledgment or proof of execution.  Unless otherwise authorized by law, a notary fee may not exceed that amount.

Q: As a New York State notary public, can I notarize documents outside of the county in which my commission is filed?

A: As a notary public commissioned in New York State, you may act as notary public anywhere in New York State.  However, only the clerk of the county in which you are qualified, or in which you have filed an Official Character Card, will have your signature on file. Therefore, if your signature needs to be authenticated, only a County Clerk with your signature on file can authenticate it.

Q: How can I register my commission to act as a notary public in another county?

A: If you would like to register your notary public commission in another county in New York State, you must purchase an Official Character Card from the County Clerk in the county in which you have qualified. There is a fee of $5.00 for your county of qualification to issue an Official Character Card. Once received, submit this to the County Clerk in the county where you wish to register your commission. There is a fee of $10.00 to register your commission in another county.

Q: What should I do if my name or address changes while I am a notary public?

A: If you have changed your name or address, you may submit a change of personal name or address form along with a $10.00 fee. (The $10.00 fee is not required if the individual name change is the result in change of marital status)  You may also change your name upon renewal of your license/registration.  You must provide proof of your name change, e.g. a copy of one of the following:  court order changing your name; marriage certificate; driver's license, or a non-driver's ID card; valid passport; or immigration documents.  Please note:  A new ID card will not be issued to you following a change of name or address during the course of your commission.  You must continue to notarize using the name and county of qualification under which you were commissioned throughout the remainder of your term.